Are you passionate about science education and enjoy our desert habitats? Join us as a Naturalist at the Desert Tortoise Research Natural Area (DTRNA)! The Desert Tortoise Preserve Committee, Inc. is seeking a seasonal Naturalist for the DTRNA from March until early June 2020. Areas of responsibility include:
- Interpretative services including greeting and interacting with visitors including, but not limited to, scheduled and unscheduled nature walks, presentations, and other educational activities; knowledge of desert ecology or willingness to learn; knowledge of organizations responsible for the DTRNA including the DTPC and the Bureau of Land Management; willingness to educate visitors about desert wildlife and the appropriate behavior and interaction with wildlife at the DTRNA.
- Data collection and reporting including maintenance of a visitor log, wildlife sightings, and daily activities; assistance in DTPC data collection including but not limited to wildlife and plant ecology, and land monitoring efforts (where applicable); maintenance of sales log from merchandise sales; preparation of a weekly reports to the Preserve Manager summarizing visitors, activities, and other issues encountered; weekly reports to the treasurer outlining merchandise sales.
- Assistance with DTPC activities and programs including assisting the Preserve Manager or volunteers in guided tours, stewardship activities, and land survey tasks; assistance with other educational tasks as required.
- Site Maintenance including keeping the office area of the motor home clean and tidy; keeping the parking area and vicinity clean of all incidental trash; daily checking of the toilet and kiosk area for rattlesnakes, black widow and recluse spiders; light trail maintenance where needed.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with a diversity of interest groups, public and private agencies, and members of the general public
- Demonstrated professional and/or educational commitment to environmental conservation, public outreach, and/or scientific research
- Ability to live on-site in the DTPC’s motor home at the Desert Tortoise Research and Natural Area, Kern County, California during the term of employment
- Ability to maintain accurate and complete records and incorporate information into Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets, Microsoft Access database, and Microsoft Word
- Basic understanding and ability to administer first-aid
- Possessing and maintaining a valid state driver’s license.
- Exceptional recommendations from professional, educational, and personal references
- Having and maintaining eligibility to work in the United States pursuant to federal law; along with submission of employment eligibility documentation.
Location: The Naturalist will be stationed at the DTRNA just outside of California City, CA. California City proper is approximately file miles away from the DTRNA, and is a small town that has several restaurants, a library, and grocery stores.
Compensation and Timeline: The timeline of work is from March to early June 2020. While the start and end dates are flexible, the preferred start date is prior to March 14. This is a full-time 40 hour/week position. The Naturalist is expected to be on site Tuesday through Saturday during operating hours (8 am to 5 pm). Compensation is $19.75/hour.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information of at least two references to the DTPC Preserve Manager, Dr. Brittany Slabach, at firstname.lastname@example.org Please include “Naturalist Position” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin Dec. 17, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.